• Question: what is dark matter

Asked by Sheldor_the_great to James, Hannah, Claire, Chris, Binuraj, Alice on 11 Mar 2020.
    • Photo: Binuraj Menon

Binuraj Menon answered on 11 Mar 2020:

I am not an expert in this, I could only provide you some information that I found out via googling !

“Dark matter, a component of the universe whose presence is discerned from its gravitational attraction rather than its luminosity. Dark matter makes up 30.1 percent of the matter-energy composition of the universe; the rest is dark energy (69.4 percent) and “ordinary” visible matter (0.5 percent).”

https://www.britannica.com/science/dark-matter

• Photo: Hannah Blyth

Hannah Blyth answered on 12 Mar 2020:

I might be wrong, but I think of dark matter as matter we can’t see (but can detect) and it makes up some of our universe.

• Photo: Chris Carlton

Chris Carlton answered on 24 Mar 2020:

Hannah is right – Dark Matter, if it exists (it hasn’t been proven), is matter which can’t be seen with the native eye but we would be able to detect. It has been theorised as a way of explaining the way that galaxies rotate which cannot be explain by the visible matter alone